The right tool for every job is a necessity to get the outcome that you expect. In some cases the right tool can easily outweigh even the skill set of the user when it comes to the level of importance. There are a couple of goals every DIYer has in mind-safety, results and ease of use.
Miter Saws are a good example of having the right tool at the right time. They make every woodworking project easier and can affect the outcome. Owning a Miter Saw as a hobbyist or even a professional carpenter is one of the best buys you can make.
There are a wide range of Miter Saws on the market, as a matter of fact, there are enough so that there is one for every type of budget.
We took a look at what makes a Miter Saw best and put together a list of the saws that can meet a wide range of project needs and budgets!
A miter saw is a great tool to have on hand in any shop, it allows for making perfect and accurate crosscuts, absolutely 90 degrees. Also, these machines prove essential when making the miter cuts angled to the user’s specifications.
However, the challenge comes in shopping for these particular tools since there are so many on the market. Therefore, this means that the potential buyer ought to study a few miter saw reviews so as to choose or gain a better knowledge on the best saw that will ultimately meet the required needs.
There are several types of tools that create angled cuts. However, miter saws still prove to be the best among them because they provide high precision levels. The blades of these devices are fixed in such a way that it can be fine-tuned to the cut until a perfect result is obtained.
Miter saw limitations
The user or any potential buyer needs to be aware of the limitations of these tools when it comes to working. No matter how perfect and good these types of saws may be, it is not fully perfect and even the market approves and accepts that. For instance, it is impossible for lumber to be ripped to width using the miter saw.
Cutting a very wide and big stock is almost impossible with this tool.
However, it is important to know the tricks that can be used to increase the cutting reach of the devices. For example, the sliding arms can be increased.
The best types of miter saw
Standard saw – this is still the most common type. The saw has a vertical pivot which is fixed and a cutting table which contains a rotating feature. Although its blade is vertical, this device is able to make horizontal angled cuts. It makes only the cross cuts and the miter cuts. It is comfortable, relatively cheap and easy to handle.
Compound miter saw – this saw also has a vertical pivot with a rotating function. This pivot allows the cutter blade and its head to tilt and bevel in a sideway position. Like the standard saw, this saw is able to make perfect horizontal angled cuts. Hence, it is highly recommended when it comes to crown molding.
Sliding compound miter saw – as the name suggests, this is a more compound saw type. It has sliding arms that are horizontal. The sliding arms are found in the cutter head hence allowing cuts to be made on boards that are far as normally positioned. This type of saw is either in a single action or in a dual action.
Cordless saw – the greatest advantage of this saw it its portability. It is very convenient for the people who need to use this it outside the workshop. Also, it is easy to handle and needs not an extra power source. It makes cross cuts, miter cuts, bevel cuts and compound cuts. Interestingly, the cordless saw is again single and dual in the bevel.
For more understanding about the miter saw, the main cuts it performs include:
- Cross cut – this cut is perpendicular to the wood grain
- Miter cut – this is an angled cut on the wood face
- Rip cut – the cut is parallel to the wood grain
- Bevel cut – an angled cut to the wood edge
Features a buyer should consider when buying a miter saw
- Blade change – the buyer should go for the saw that will offer an easy blade change feature. This is necessary more so when working on various materials which will need the use of varied compound blades.
- The positive stops – the stops should be varied to ensure easy use of the tool. The saw should not offer several positive stops but rather a chance to manipulate the incremental adjustments and changes.
- Dust collection – this is important. It helps in keeping the workstation clean and also protects the tool. Therefore, the buyer should look for a tool with an effective dust collection system (well-equipped).
- Work stand – since miter saw work stands vary, the potential user has to consider the best. The work stand should fit the saw.
- Electric brake – this feature slows the blade down slowly hence it becomes an essential part of the miter saw.
- Comfortable handle – this is felt when the saw is held to see how it feels on the hand since the designs of the handles do vary.
Upon considering the main features and other factors to be considered when buying and using an effective miter saw, the concern still remains unhooked:
which is the best miter saw?
Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw
This tool is extremely multipurpose and it falls in line very perfectly with the user’s cutting needs. The versatility is advantageous in that; when working with the wood, soft hardboard or sashes, the saw would cut it comfortably with much ease.
C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw comes with a potent motor with other packed features that make the woodworking easier.
The tool has a powerful motor of 15-Amp which has a speed of 5000 rpm. Again, the positive miter stops can be easily activated using the thumb control. Its great design is interesting; consider the comfy horizontal handle with some inbuilt clamping system and a greatly large table. The bevel range is absolutely 45 degrees and the flip fence can rise to 4 inches. This is awesome.
To any carpenter or woodworker, the Hitachi will indeed offer a great and professional experience: accurate cuts both miter and cross cuts. To another better functionality, the handle is designed to absorb and minimize vibration hence allowing fantastic grips without a slip.
- Highly durable
- Very clean and accurate miter and cross cuts provided
- Ultimately powerful – gives preciseness and straightness of the cuts
- This is the perfect miter saw for the beginner
- Very easy in adjusting the bevels and the miter cuts
- Comfy handle with great motion to pull down
- Has an inbuilt dust collector which is extra-effective
- Its carbon brush is easy to be replaced
- It is the miter saw for the money
- In cases of fine and greater work detail, then this is not the best tool. If chosen, then the user will have to look for an upgraded blade.
This saw has very little negatives or defects, meaning that it is advantageous in almost all aspects. The Hitachi C10FCE2 cuts with a flawless ease, simple to use and can easily be maneuvered. The vibration-minimizing handle makes it more pleasurable to work with. Therefore, any potential buyer has a tool to think about.
DEWALT DW715 15-Amp 12-Inch Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
DE WALT DW715 is well to be considered for home use. These familiar tools the go-to choice for the men in the construction because they manage to have a great reputation for their durability. For home repairs and other renovation, this tool can work with a speed of 4000rpm.
The main features include the 15-Amp motor which works with a powerful speed. Second is the carry handle which is inbuilt with a warranty package inclusive. Third, the saw has an adjustable stainless steel with more than 10 positive stops.
The miter capacity is between 0 and 50 degrees, moving both left and right. This is fantastic! More surprise?
The miter saw has an adjustable handle called cam-lock, and also it has a tall sliding fence which easily comes out.
This miter saw is real, goes all round and accurate in its work, hence convenient for those who do not prefer complicated saws.
- Accurate, versatile and powerful – all presented in one package
- Does greatly with cross and miter cutting applications
- The blade has clean cuts which are easy to control
- The work is done perfectly and straightly
- The bevel is precise with the miter adjustments.
- The features are amazing and the miter capacity is great
- Miter –set and angle – locked
- The dust collector is of poor quality and also cheap. Hence, it forces the user to replace the features or work with the complications.
Like the Hitachi, DW715 15-Amp Miter Saw provides many advantages hence its greatness. Hence, the potential buyer has the time to think about where the saw would be used and its great importance.
It is only 42 pounds in weight and has a handle to help it move around easily. This proves that indeed this tool is lightweight and suffers no performance reduction.
If the buyer wants a long-lasting and also sturdy miter saw with minimal loss in its accuracy and ease of work, then this tool deserves a placement on the buyer’s list as the most considered.
DE Walt DWS709 12-inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw
On the list is a sliding compound miter saw, again from DE WALT.
The difference with the previous one is that this tool is sizeable with a weight of 51 pounds and can move around easily.
Its main features include the 15-Amp and a speed of 4000rpm as the sister tool above. Second, the handle is inbuilt and a warranty package is offered. The detent plate is stainless steel and adjustable with more than 10 stops. Like the sister, this product has a miter capacity from 0 – 50 degrees and moves to left and right.
The miter handle is also adjustable. Amazingly, the carbide blade has 32 teeth dust bag is attached to the device.
- The product is versatile and accurate in working
- It is easy to use – good for beginners
- Miter saw for the money
- Comes from a reputable company – a reputable brand with outstanding money value
- Lightweight and compact due to its heavy-duty capacity
- Adequate motor which delivers great power
- There is a big room needed to collect the dust
- It has few features
- The capacity is slightly reduced compared to other models
The positives offered by this product give its strong content and make it the best miter saw. It is compatible with various DE WALT appliances starting with the stand to the crown stops and dust bags.
In case the user does not mind some few omissions like the guide laser, then DEWALT DWS709 Slide Compound Miter Saw, 12-Inch is the best miter saw which would make woodworking simple.
Makita LS1016L 10-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser
Though this is not the model for money since it is expensive, in terms of precision, it plays the best in the user’s decision. When cutting crown moldings, the product has the biggest capacity.
Putting again all the general functionality against its price, then Makita proves to be the sound value for money.
It has unique design linear ball bearings and an inbuilt laser. Also, its motor speed is 3200rpm with a great capacity for cutting and patented steel rail sliding system.
- Very versatile
- Easy to use
- Can be adjusted to smaller angles
- Functionality is great
- Somehow heavy to carry
- The manual is unclear with some complaints
For wide ranges of jobs, Makita LS1016L 10-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw with Laser is the best. Though not cheap, it will prove to be an investment which lasts long and does happy woodworking.
DEWALT DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
In the last list position is again a DE WALT product, which is DE WALT 12-inch saw.
With similarity to the DWS709, DWS780 depicts some few differences. It has a larger capacity and LED light cut. Hence it is the best again for groove cuts and for professional jobs in woodworking.
The motor speed is 3800rpm. Its detent plate is also adjustable and the tool has a back fence design. The meters degrees are 50 to the left and 60 to the right. Amazingly, the tool offers vertical, horizontal and nested crown cuts; hence the user’s necessity will be fully covered. Its dust collection is superbly refined.
- Motor is extremely powerful
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- The gauges are highly accurate
- The good stock blade is given
- The dust collection is superb
- Bevel and angle are swift, simple and adjustable
- Blade – unique and outstanding
- Slides at times
- There is no soft start option
- The blade needs upgrading when considering the work with fine detail
This miter saw makes cutting absolutely less taxing. The LED light is bright and guides the user on what should be cut next.
Any dust generated is trapped very nicely. Hence, DEWALT DW718 12-Inch Double-Bevel Slide Compound Miter Saw is a pro-level miter saw which can be used at home.
A miter saw proves important more so when cutting angles. Hence, the buyer needs to know and gets the best kind which will perform exactly as it is expected.
When choosing the best miter saw, then the available features discussed has to be given considerations. Afterward, the individual has to consider the depth of the pocket and therefore goes for the best tool which is within his or her financial boundaries.
It is high time the potential buyer chose from the list of the superb miter saws for men!